- Please use this guide to set up your Clarity Node-S first before setting up any add-on modules. If you have already set up your Node-S device, please proceed to deployment instructions for the wind module ("Deploying your Clarity Wind Module").
- This guide is for the Clarity Node-S (cellular). If you have a Clarity Node device (no solar panel), please refer to this Clarity Node (cellular) deployment guide.
- Your Clarity device comes with a SIM card pre-installed.
- Depending on your hardware version, your Clarity device comes with 1) a power adapter with adapters for US, EU, UK, and Australia sockets or 2) a US power adapter with EU socket adapter. Other types of sockets will require additional adapters that will need to be sourced separately.
- If you have any questions about deployment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Node-S devices must be charged for a full 24 hours prior to deployment. Devices are shipped partially charged for safety reasons. Devices that are not charged before configuration may not complete configuration when deployed and only will configure once there is sufficient battery charge. The device will slowly charge up via solar but the time required to do so is variable by device, so we highly recommend charging the device fully before deployment. Without a full charge, follow up visits to the deployment site may be required.
- The Node-S devices must be oriented correctly to be weatherproof. The air inlet/outlet should point straight down to the ground. Incorrect deployment may allow moisture to enter the device and void the warranty.
- If you are installing the device using mains or line power in temperatures below freezing: please plug in the power cable to the Node-S body first. Then plug into the external power source.
1 Solar Panel
Depending on your hardware version:
Depending on hardware version you will receive either of the following:
In some hardware versions, the following is also included:
For deployment, you will also need the following equipment (not included):
- A Phillips head screwdriver
- Stainless steel zip ties, hose clamps, or screws for mounting that are appropriate for your site(s)
Assemble the device
Attach the mounting bracket to the Node-S body.
If you have an older Clarity device that does not include a solar shield: Attach the mounting bracket to the device body with the mounting screws. The bracket can be screwed in vertically or horizontally depending on the infrastructure at the site.
- If you have the latest Clarity device that includes the solar shield: Slide the metal shield over the device body from the top, from the side opposite of the inlet/outlet and Device ID QR code. The inlet/outlet and QR code should be fully visible with the shield in place.
Attach the solar shield bracket to the device body with the mounting screws. Note: When deploying devices with the solar shield, mounting to a wall or other flat surface may require additional fittings
Your device may with an additional mounting bracket and four (4) screws that allows for using hose clamps to secure to railings or poles:
The optional bracket can be rotated and secured to the Node body using the screws depending on the direction of the railing or pole. Examples:
- Attach the solar panel to the device. Do not plug in the solar panel cable to the device body.
- Attach the antenna to the device body and orient upright.
Charge the device
Node-S devices must be charged for a full 24 hours prior to deployment. Devices that are not charged before configuration may not complete configuration when deployed and only will configure once there is sufficient power.
- Plug the device into an outlet with the provided power adapter. The device will play the Power On sound (single beep). Disregard any subsequent sounds for now.
- Charge for 24 hours. After fully charging or to store the device, please disconnect the external power adaptor or solar panel cable from the device body. Keeping the cable connected will keep the device on and continue consuming the battery.
Configure the device
- Scan the device’s QR code with a phone or log in with your account credentials on Clarity Dashboard. If you are not able to access your Dashboard, please contact your Account Admin to add you as an user or contact email@example.com.
- Click on Configure a Device tab from the menu on the left panel.
- Follow the prompts in the Configuration process: Enter the Device ID. The Device ID is a 8-digit alphanumeric code printed on the Device enclosure, under the QR code. Click Next Step.
- Input the Device Location: latitude and longitude. You can enter this manually or use the map to move the pin to the approximate location. Select if the device is Indoor or Outdoor. Optionally, you may input the distance that the device is mounted above ground level as well as the distance from the nearest road (both in meters). Click Next Step.
- Upload a photo of the device (optional). Click Submit.
- Once the device has been configured, you will see the Configuration Success page. Click Go to Maintenance if you need to edit the device geolocation or re-upload a photo.
If you have Clarity modules to deploy, please continue deployment using the following guides below:
If you do not have any Clarity modules, please proceed with deployment using the instructions below.
- At the deployment site, plug the solar panel cable or mains-power connector into the device. The device will play the Power On sound and attempt to connect to Clarity Cloud.
- If the Connection Failure sound (beep beep beep) plays, please confirm the device has been configured on the Dashboard first. If this doesn't resolve the issue, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you hear a Low Battery sound, please charge the device for at least 24 hours before proceeding.
- If the Connection Successful sound plays, proceed to deploy the device.
After successful connection, please wait for the first data point to upload to the Cloud and to appear on the Dashboard. This can take anywhere from 2 to 20 min depending on the cellular connectivity strength.
Deploy the device
Note: When deploying devices with the solar shield, mounting devices to a pole is recommended. Mounting to a wall or other flat surface may not be possible or require additional equipment.
Note: The optimum angle for the solar panel will vary during the winter and summer months if not near the equator. You may need to adjust the solar panel as the seasons and sun patterns change to maximize sunlight exposure in some locations. If accessing the device is difficult and the solar panel can't be adjusted, we recommend using the more conservative winter angle as long as during the summer months, there will be plenty of direct sun exposure.
Congratulations! The device is online and uploading data.